Saturday, October 6, 2007

more...

so i have way more time than i thought... my mobile number is 826279082 but i have no idea what the country code, and the internet is too slow for me to want to look it up. but if someone wants to look it up and call me that would be cool. i think that i am 8 hours ahead of central time. so more about where i am living. it is a village of about 9000 people and i will be here for the next 9 weeks. we have language and cross cultural training everyday. it is pretty cool. my host family consists of a mother, 2 daughters, 1 grandaughter (all of whom are close to me in age) and a grandson who is 4 and he is the best porgutuese teacher ever. he follows me everywhere and cries if he cant sit next to me at dinner. .. its cute. my house is a mansion compared to most of the other volunteers. i have a kitchen and bathroom that are both in the house. and my bathroom has a bathtub(no running water to it though) and a flushing toilet. i never would have thought that i would enjoy bucket baths so much. basically it is a a big pail of water and you bathe yourself by pouring it over you cup by cup. sory this is so scater brained and not organized. food is awesome. lots of rice and potatos...no south beach here. but i cant believe that they can cook so much good food from scratch, but it is all tasty. they are severly lacking in the peanut butter department though. ohh ya so i took my first chapa ride today. a chapa is kind of like a minibus but you cram 19 people into a space made for about 12, but it is less than $2 for an hour ride...not to mention they dont have shocks and people dont want to open windows ...so is life in africa, but it is great

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you finally got in touch. Will send some peanut butter soon. Anything else you can think of? Been busy here--probably not as busy as you. Miss you much.

Anonymous said...

hi lindsay
sounds like you're doing well
we miss you a lot and your cooking
skills.
P.S. we got a new house

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay
Been reading your blog and loving it. It would be really selfish to say I wish you were here because the world is a better place because you are there! Your host family sounds like home with mom and sisters around. I know you and I know you will find the best in everything there. Love and lots of prayers for you and them.
your loving G-Mom

Anonymous said...

hi lindsey missyou but releived to hear from you!!! 90 here today broke the record ya think!!!! saw your new homestead today in sd very sweet and fun. im alittle scattered brained too you know that. can you or me send photos on this cool system or not?? have fun WHITE ONE and blog often (K) want ketchup wet?

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay! So glad that things are good for you. I'll be praying for you and that you can learn portuguese very quickly! Miss your smiling face but glad that others get to share your smile
Alison

Kyle said...

hey Lindsay! Glad to hear you are doing well. Glad to hear you have a flushing toilet. I don't know what I would do without my flushing toilet in my house. Well, have a great day and learn that portugese good. Later.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you have internet. I am going to try to call you soon when you get the rest of your number figured out! I miss you and want to catch up on EVERYTHING!

Anonymous said...

hey BLONDE!!!glad to hear you make it on the ohter side of the world n sounds like everything is goin well you n thats good, just keep you head up, n hope everything will go smooth on your side...jus breezin thru n c how are things goin with u....WHITE! WHITE! WHITE! WHITE! WHITE!..hahahaha jus kidding k blonde u take care n be safe..fa soifua alofa ia te oe

Anonymous said...

linds!!!!! it sounds like everything e is going very well for you. I am so happy for you that you are having fun! i will try and call you soon once i get that country code figured out. i sent you a letter in teh mail last week. leme know if you get it.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone.. i just talked to lindsay... i talked to her using skype... you can download on your computer and it only cost .16 per minute to talk to her... you can also send text messages through skype that cost .10 cents.... here is her number with area code and all... 011-258-826279082.... you can purchase credit on skype using your credit card... it is very easy! love mackenzie

www.skype.com they have directions to use it! and she says to tell everyone hi!!

bcandersen said...

hey lindsay,

It was very interesting to read your blogs, your sister just told me that she got to talk to you. I guess she's more important than me, bunch of crap. Umm........ i should let you know that i didnt get arrested on hobo days, im very proud. How come you got so lucky to get the big house? I'll keep looking for a new blog, hope your haveing a great time.

Brett

Anonymous said...

If you want I can help out with the portuguese but all I know are the bad words. If you want to learn something usefull I can ask my dad. Don't get too comfortable living the good life, we want you to come back. I hope all is well.

Carlos

P.S. Sit on a pillow so the chapa ride doesn't hurt your toosh.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsay! I am glad that you are enjoying yourself and learning to cook! We all miss you and Josie does too! When we get back from Shonette's wedding we will try to get a letter or package to you. Love you lots!