Monday, October 29, 2007

hello all!

hello everyone! all is well here in mozambique! whats new.... i have started teaching some english classes at the secondary school, not real classes, but between 7 and 12 students who want some extra practice. it is really cool but really imtimidating at the same time, i never realized that being a teacher would be so hard. what is more weird is that most of the students are my age or older and they call me o senhora professora which is a sign of respect both in and out of the classroom. this past week was interesting i thought that i had a really good week for portuguese and we had a mock lang interview on friday and the guy told me that i need to increase my vocabulary and work on past tense verb forms. so much for me thinking that i had a good week, but i heard today that he told everyone the same thing, so we are kind of thinking that it might just be a scare tactic. this past weekend was the 6 month ceremony for the father of my house having passed away and it was a huge learning experience. friday i watched the head of a cow be cut all nasty to eat and i watched a goat be slaughtered. i think about 30 people slept in my house on friday, and i felt like a huge snot as a lounged all alone on my full size bed and huge room while everyone else was cramped elsewhere in the house, but i am not nearly comfortable enough to offer to let someone else sleep in my room. saturday morning a caravan of 10 cars went to the cemetary and there was a ceremony in the local language. a lot of singing and talking that i did nto understand. everyone present placed flowers on the grave and then family members sprinkled watet over the grave, not sure the significance of that. afterwards we returned to the house and everyoned washed their hands before going in the yard, once again not sure of the significance. the men all sat on chairs and the women sat to the side on straw mats and a prayer was said and then we all ate. i was a veg for the weekend because i was not about to eat cow head, goat head, or chicken innards. after eating the men all drank wine and beer and the women sat and talked. i asked why the women dont drink and one of the men said that it is because their husbands say they cant. but for some reason i was allowed to drink, but i have been told before that american women in mozambique are not really women but they are not really men, somehwere in between. i spoke a ton of portuguese and learned a lot but it was frustrating to speak to all these people who are not used to dealing with me and my horrible portuguese. other than that not much is new. i guess i got another marriage proposal on friday when i went to the bar with my brother to buy some beers. it is amazing how many people here speak english. really makes it hard to learn portuguese. i have been telling people that i cant speak english, so they dont really know where i am from. i guess that is really it for now. love and miss you all!
linds :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound good. i did send the 3rd package--last Monday-- I think. Got some treats on the way. I will have to ask someone about the string or thread. Do you mean embroidary thread? Work is slowing down on the house. Mostly cleaning things to do. I talked to Grandpa today. Says he is feeling well. he says Zoey or Grandma will have to figure out the phone card thing. I told him you would LOVE to hear his voice. Better get back to work. Love, Mama

Zoey North said...

Hi Lindasy, I love hearing all the details of your experiences over there! How cool is it that you can be a "he-she" and drink? I will figure out how to call you so you can talk to Gramps. We all miss you a ton!! Hug, Kiss, Miss, Spank. Auntie Zoey

Anonymous said...

you will never win the marriage bet you have with your friends... so should i expect a BIL when you come back? sounds like everything is going well... i may be going to china... mom and dad will be very lonely huh? love you bye!

LauraB said...

Linds-

Muito bom! It sounds like you're having an amazing experience over there. I speak just the slightest Portuguese so you will have to teach me when you come back!

It might be different in Africa, but you should ask about the word "saudadge" (I think that's how you spell it; it's used in Brazil) but it means to miss someone very very much; I don't think we have an English word that translates.

Stay strong and beautiful! Beijos~!

Anonymous said...

Hey Linds! I posted another comment to you further down, I obivously don't know what I am doing. I did talk to your mom and I have some hemp rope for you. I just have to unpack first. We have not closed on our house yet. A pipe broke and flooded the house. They had to get it fixed before we move in. Tom wants to get moved in so we can have Josie's Birthday party there. I will need to figure out how to attatch pictures so I can send you some. Are you still able to check your email? I am working on my mom so that we can get a box sent to you. Thanks for keeping us posted and I am so happy that they think of you as one of the "Guys" and you get to drink! You should really make them Proud of you and show them how to do a Keg stand!! (j/k) Take care! We love and Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay, I also enjoy reading your experiences...What would you like in a "care package"? Starting to get cold here so it must be summer where you are! Take care and more later.
Love,
Sal

Anonymous said...

Hello! Well, things sound like they are going well. That is interesting that a lot of people speak English there. I would have never guessed that. Take care hon! Megan

Anonymous said...

Hi lindsay-thanks for the continued updates---your blogg is soo interesting to read--i look forward to reading all your new adventures. we are so proud of you-keep up all the hard work-this will be something in your life you will always look back on with alot of emotion. I was over helping your mom and dad cleaning cupboards the other night and now we are getting ready for the halloween party. they are going as hutterites--but i ended up making a poodle skirt-so i will be going as a be-bop! it should be lots of fun. next week steve and i go to vegas for the week and then back to reality..hope all is well--miss you lots--love pam and steve

Anonymous said...

hey Linz, sounds like a your having a really great time! I only read like half of your blog and i was pretty much on the edge of my chair... I really like reading ur blogs their great! We all miss and love you, but we are glad your happy there! It sounds like two years will be a breaze... I'll talk to you again soon, but for now love you and miss you, and will couting down days till you come home! Love you always