Tuesday, October 23, 2007

1 Month!

ok well not really one month, but it has been one month since i left home, saturday will be one month in Mozambique! so just a bunch of random stories from the week past. one day my sisters friend came over and she was asking me if i know how to cook and do lanundry and i said no i am learning, but i said that i do know how to iron. and she then told me that i was never going to get married in mozambique. ok i didnt plan on getting married here. no you wont even get a boyfriend if you cant cook and do laundry. by the end of the conversation i was laughing really hard. what was more funny was that the next day a cousin came over and told me that he loved me and that i would make such a beautiful wife and mother. the tactfulness of mozambiquan men. saturday a bunch of volunteers got together and made french toast..ohhh it was amazing! i just learned the other day that they do pay as you go electricity here. people go to some shop and buy credit and then come home and punch the numbers on a reader to get electrictity. kind of crazy. i also went to church for the first time on sunday. it was in portuguese and shanganna( i dont know how you spell that but it is the local language). last night i atteneded an english class...it is going to be very interesting to have my own class. the teacher was handing back final exams, and he called each student up in front of the class and then told them their final exam results. if people did poorly he told them so in front of the class... so much different from what i am used to. after he finished the results i introduced myself and the class asked me some questions. the first question was wether or not i am married. and it was followed by my age. i declined to answer either just because i didnt want to deal with more stupid comments. this week is going well so far. my class has a new portuguese professor and i think that things will work out well. i am still not learning as fast as i would like to, but there is not much that i can do. i always feel like i should stay home and study, but it seems so much more beneficial to go out in the community and be social with the people. i learn a lot more quickly that way , but what i learn is not what i am being tested on. oh the dilemma. if anyone wants to send me some string that would be cool. like the kind that you use to make friendship bracelts in 7th grade. and maybe some chewing gum because i love it. that is all that i have for now. my next post might be pretty interesting because my host moms entire family is coming this weekend and from what i am understanding i am going to spend the day at church on friday and at the cemetary saturday followed by some party. it is looking to be an interesting week ahead! take care! love and miss everyone!
linds :)
not sure if i mentioned this earlier, but many men here have more than one wife. we had a presentation earlier today done by a current voluntter and he told us that he had a conversation with a chapa driver and this was his justification for men having more than one wife. there are more women in mozmabique than men, and women can not take care of themselves, so it is a mans social duty to take care of a woman, and if he has the money to take care of more than one he should.... interesting isnt it?

7 comments:

L.S. Alves said...

Well! Very interesting your history. You cross the world become into a diferent society and will teach english. Then enjoy to see another way of life and learn another language. Portuguese is the language that unify Moçambique. Try speak this language and certainly many doors will be opened to you.
Hugs and good luck with your adventure.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsay! Sounds very interesting so far. I think you might have a hard time staying single there!!!! Still thinking of ya.

Anonymous said...

i got your text.. but i told mom and dad to call you.. they know more about grandpa than i do.. so someone will be calling yousoon... as of right now i think everything is going well with him.. but anyways.. love you.. stay away from those boys.. remember you have a bet with some of your friends here and i want you to win! and than you can split it with me!! yay!!!! love you!!!

Anonymous said...

I did send you some chewing gum--yesterday. Parcel No. 3- and I forgot to mark it-was sent yesterday. No string though-unless it was in your package. Love and miss you, Mama

Zoey North said...

Hi Lindsay, I finally learned how to read and respond to your blog. I am learning so much by about the culture there. I love it! I am so proud that you are brave enough to jump on such an awesome adventure. I am printing everything out for grandpa to read. He is going GREAT. He misses you alot. I dont have a microphone on my computer to call you that way and it is 1 am when I can call you on a phone, so you call me collect. I would love to talk to you. PS. I think you should marry a man with several wives....that way you dont have to put out as much....hee hee. Auntie Zoey

bcandersen said...

hey linds,
bet u cant get married in the next year. Im sure you'd make a wonderful wife, and they you and your husbands other wives can tell stories. That sounds like just the plan for you.
I blessed yesterday and talked with almost every member of your family, lucky huh? I'd just like to let you know now that i dont have any money and you wont be getting any string sent in a package from me, sorry love. Keep posting info, i enjoy reading it.

Brett

Anonymous said...

Hey granddaughter just want you to know that I am always thinking of you, We're all doing well and waiting for the Holidays. The weather has held up pretty well in Ca. No rain yet this winter, but expecting some soon. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and remember the best gift we ever received from God. Hope your packages all arrived cuz it will seem more like Christmas if they did. Love you and miss you.G-Mom