Sunday, November 11, 2007

Tete!

back again! i just got home from my site visit yesterday and now i can not wait for site placement. i went to tete province to a city called moatize and loved it. alyssa(another pct) and i stayed with this guy named bak and loved it. it seemed really crazy when we got there because he lives on the third story of an apartment buliding...not exactly what i picture when i think of the peace corps, but hey it was cool. we wentto visit current volunteers to get a better idea of what life might be like when we are actually out there on our own. it was weird to have so much freedom for 5 days. i didnt have a knock on my door to wake me up, i didnt have to bathe 2 times a day if i didnt want to and i could eat when i wanted. there was so much less structure than here at homestay it was amazming. anyway...moatize is a city of about10000 people located outside of tete city(the provinical capital) the city was really cool and of course the people were really funny. all of bak's neighbours kept asking if we were his wives and one of the girls who is 11 would not believe that we were just visiting. we basically just did a lot of hangingout. the first night i spoke portuguese for about 3 hours with these men who work at the mozambique/malawi border, and that was the extent of my portuguese for the past 5 days, and i felt like i couldnt even speak portuguese last night.... kind of a problem. the weather was HOT!! people basically dont do anything from 11-3 because the heat is pretty unbearable. one of the professors at the school told me that it was one of the hottest weeks of the entire year. one of the days we hiked to the top of this mountain in a thunderstorm, probably not the best idea, but it was really cool. everyone thought we were crazy because we were just walking around in the poruing rain, but it was really fun. after our little hike we went to this shop to have a beer and it ended up being a huge dance party. we were trying to take pictures of these kids and they were going nuts. they LOVE to have their photos taken. i also learned to passada. it is a traditional mozambiquan dance...not that hard, but it was really fun. these women were trying to teach me how to dance like a mozambiquan but it just was not happening. even 3 year old children can move thier bodies like nobodys business. we also visited another site at zoube which was a little more rural, and i am not sure that i want to be placed somewhere like that, but the girls that lived there had a really cute house. we spent friday night in tete city which was amazing! the girl that lives in tete city has a place with air conditioning and running water. it was crazy. we went out to dinner at this great resturant and then went to this brazilian guys house and went swimming. tete provice has a bad rap...but i kind of want to get placed there, but i am not sure that i could handle the heat. i also have a newfound love of mangos....mango season is in full swing here and i love it. i have a lot more that i could write alot more but only one computer is working and there are a ton of people waiting to use the comptuters...more later!
love and miss you all!
linds :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed calling you this weekend. We are having an open house today 1-3. Just lots going on. I will try during the week, I guess. Spunds like you had a good time. Did you get your package yet? Love you more, Mama

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Grams
Just read your blog and am so excited for you. I keep you in my prayers because I know that God is also following you around wherever you are in Africa.
You sound so happy and as much as you love being with people you should be. I would love to send some needed things to you,but what items should I choose and can you ever get too much? I guess not.
You wouldn't believe how well grandpa is doing! He has had visitors come to stay overnite a couple of times and he really enjoys their company. He's a good patient and he gets good care. The boys are way into hockey and it really keeps Doug busy, but he loves it so he doesn't care. All else is well. Not much news from this end. Keep up the good work! The world needs more Lindsays like you. I will try to write more often. Life has really been full of stuff since you were here. Keep up the blogging I love to hear about your adventures.
I love you and really really miss you. Your forever G-Mom

Anonymous said...

Lindsay my love,
I'm sad to say it but Vermillion is a little more exciting than Africa! Seriously, why would you leave? Jk! Miss you baby! Hope you are having a wonderful time. We all miss you like crazy! I am working on my 4.0 this year, I have really laid off the partying....yeah right! be safe wear chapstick! love you lots! BtW J-lo is having a baby and britney spears is still crazy...I think she will make a come back soon!
Love,
Megan

Lindsay said...

so for some reason this isnt letting me post on the other part...but i could use some good sunscreen...apparently the stuff they give us here isnt too great:)

Zoey North said...

Hi Lindsay, we sent you 4 packages today. I labeled them 1 of 4, 2 of 4, etc. I hope they all get there! Your boxes are filled with a game, toiletries, tons of candy, snacks, soups, nail polish, beads, earring hoops, books, mags, medicines, wet wipes, bug spray, sun screen..just about all of Safeway! I could buy a small car for the amount you pay in shipping...ha ha. You are worth it my dearest niece. The boys are still playing hockey and love it. Grandpa is doing great! I sent you some pictures of him. He will be out here in CA until mid-December or so. We really enjoy having him out here. We miss you sooooo much. I pray for you every night. Take care. Huggies, kissies, wink, pinch on the butt, Auntie Zo

Anonymous said...

Hi Linds i'm glad to hear you are liking it more and more there and you get to see different places. I bet it is weird to have christmas when it is warm and hot down there! I saw your mom and dads new place from the outside and it looks awsome. you will really like it. by the way Josie had her 3rd bithday and she was so cute. thought you would like to know. Take care and like your friend said wear the chap stick but don't act like neopleon!!hahaha love ya
Teresa and jeff.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lindsay,
I am thrilled to read about your stay in several places in MZ. Just want to let you know that I was born in Mazamba, it is in the Gorongoza area. My family and I lived in Tete. That is the last place that I resided before leaving MZ for good.

I spoke to your Dad last night, he gave me your blog address.

I am hoping to meet with your folks soon. My sister informed me that you emailed her. She is very excited about meeting you. She has a good place for you to stay and meet the real people of MZ.

It is very, very cold here in Sioux Falls, the elections are nearing. People are excited about these elections than ever.

"Peace"
C.H.