Saturday, February 2, 2008

I love it!

Hello Everyone! So I am officially a teacher! What a scary thought! I am teaching 5 turmas of 9th grade english! I everyday at 7 or 7.50 and I am done by 12.05, so I am going to have a lot of free timeA turma is basically just a class. Each turma has between 35-55 students. And I teach each turma 3 classes a week- so my work load here is going to be pretty light. Only 15 classes a week. It kind of makes me feel bad because there are teachers at the school who are teaching. Classes in the morning, afternoon and evening. Our school is so big and overcrowded that they have classes broken up into morning afternoon and evening. I think that there are close to 45 turmas each with about 45 students. So there are somewhere around 2000 students. Last week we were helping with some tasks at the school and having meetings, and you would not believe some of the things that were brought up at the meeting. We spent 45 min discussing what is and what is not an appropriate teacher/student relations. They also talked about not beating your wife, children, girlfriend, boyfriend, ect, in the street because you are a teacher and a role model. I am not so sure what I really think about the teaching thing. Monday was the first official day of school, but we didn't teach. There was an assembly where they went over the rules(One of which was “when you have a question raise your right hand), and expectations for students and teachers. It was almost 3 hours long and really boring. One thing that I am not sure if I have mentioned or not is the way in which question/answer sessions are held here. When they open the floor for questions, people ask questions, the questions are written down, and then all of the questions are answered at one time. It just seems odd to me. The first day of actual class was pretty interesting. My first class was first period, so I went a little early. Classes start at 7, but students have to be at school at 6.30. Before school they line up by turma and at 6.45 they sing the national anthem. The students stay in the same classroom all day and the teachers move from class to class. When the teacher enters the room one student says “ Attention class” and then everyone stands up and says “ Good morning teacher, how are you?” I am well how are you? “ we are fine thank you.” and if you forget to tell them that they can be seated they will continue to stand until you remember. Also whenever students want to talk they have to stand, it all seems so odd Most of the 9th grade curriculum involves Mozambican culture and teaching kids to be able to speak about Mozambique in english. Today we were talking about traditions. And one tradition here is called the Lobolo- it is basically just a bride price. So in class I was asking my students to explain this to me, one boy asked if he could explain it to me using an example. So he stands up and says “ I want to marry professora Cecilia and I go to her father and give him money.” I told him that was a bad example, but the class had a great laugh. But things are going well and I think that for the most part I am still enjoying myself. Before I forget I wanted to mention that my favorite part of Africa is sitting in my bed with a flash light for 10 minutes before I can go to sleep to be sure that all of the bus INSIDE my mosquito net are dead. Another story about the little criancas...when I was home from the market yesterday my hands were full and this little boy came up and grabbed my arm and started walking with me, a few feet down the road another boy did the same thing, and it was adorable because they were just grinning from ear to hear, and they were speaking all kinds of dialect to me that I couldn't understand, but really when a kid is grinning from ear to ear just because he can hold your hand does it really matter?



Estou a pedir (I am asking for)

This lovely saying is quite possibly one of my least favorite parts of Mozambique People will estou a pedir for just about anything. One day a child pedir(ed) for ONE flip=flop... really child what good is one flip flop going to do you? We also have people pedir for work at least once a week. One of my all time favorite pedirs was estou a pedir a bebe – I am asking for the baby. There is also a mother on the road to the market that will say A bebe esta a pedir um mil. The baby is asking for 1 metacal? And the thing about estou a pedir is that there is no shame in asking for anything here. People will ask for you for just about everything. I have read stories of other people comparing estou a pedir to the lottery. You play and play but never win... you just continue with the hopes that it might work. At least with estou a pedir they have nothing to lose.





Estou a pedir some beef stock...yes I know it sounds weird. And some glow starts to hand out to students who do well on tests, and crushed red pepper, Parmesan cheese, anything girly (ie facial stuff, pedicure stuff, manicure stuff, and magazines...new or old.



Love and miss you all (South Dakotans...please don't freeze- Africa is warm...come visit!)

linds :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linds-
I am happy to hear you are doing well and loved seeing your pictures on your other page. I am getting together a package but going to wait until after Hawaii to send to you so I can send it all at once!
I miss you like crazy-you don't even know!!! Wish Africa was a drive away! <3 Ya

david santos said...

Thanks for posting, Lindsay.
Have a good weekend

Anonymous said...

oh we are staying warm here... 2 days ago in brooking the actual air temp was -8 and with windchill it was -34!!!! Hope everything is going well!!!! Maybe i'll see you in december!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Lindsay-- Just tried to call and got a message that you were not available. Tried to download skype on Dads computer, but it would not work. Maybe I'll have Kenzie try. She has been using Kiley's computer because something is wrong with hers. Hope to talk soon. Love, Mom

bcandersen said...

hey linds,

I just got done catchin up on you post and it seems your all grown up. Miss Songstad the teacher, wow ur a stud. For the first time i got the feeling your more mature then me. Hahahahahahahahah ya right.

How often do you get to use the computer? I love reading your updates. Hope everything stays on the up and up.

Love you,

Brett

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Lindsay!! 24 Years ago today we heard the good news about our little princess!! Love and miss you. Mama and Papa.

Zoey North said...

Hi Cecilia ~ you made my day when you called us last week! We miss hearing your cute little voice. I will be seeing your ma & pa in Cabo in 2 days. I'm sure we will have a blast, but not as much fun as we had wehn we were there huh? The boys are growing so much. They are kicking butt in Hockey and Basket Ball. Grams is doing good. We started remodeling our house, inside and out. Now you have to come visit us again when you get back to the good US of A. We miss you my dearest neice. Love Cecilia Sr.

nate grace said...

miss songstad aka twin fifties
how are you doing it sounds like your good but i know you miss me ha:) everything is good here except it has been really cold and i havent hung out with you parents for a while kinda depressing. well keep up on the blog just like to see how your doin. oh and are you married yet so i can get that 100 bucks from you hahaha
luv nate

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay!! Hope you are doing awesome still. We think of you quit often. Alittle jealous of the weather you have there, guess you know that. We sent a box of goods to you January 28. Hopefully you receive it soon and in one piece. All is about the same here, work, school, and waiting for summer!!!!!
Hope to see your blog update soon, Tami and All

Kiley said...

hey Lindsay!! guess who turns 1 on the 24th!!! Jr. does! I am excited, and he is getting so big! I have 2 new pictures of him that I will upload soon! But I hope all is going well in Africa! I miss you!
<3 Kiley